I learned how to make these cookies at my daughter's preschool, they are really soft and delicious. I like the cinnamon sugar that goes around them, it gives a nice crunch and flavor.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (I use "Spectrum Organic" that doesn't have any hydrogenated fats, its made from mechanically pressed palm oil)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Preheath oven to 350°. Mix the butter and shortening until very creammy. Add 1 1/2 cups of sugar until well incorporated, add the eggs one at a time and mix well. In a separate bowl mix the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Incorporate the dry mixture to the butter mixture, be very careful not to over mix!. Refrigerate for 30 minutes so the dough is easy to handle. Mix the 1/4 cup of sugar with cinnamon. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls and roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until set. Check after 10 minutes in case your oven runs a little hot. Cool in a wire rack and Enjoy!.